Thursday, February 17, 2011

Ethnography Results Week # 2

As of week two we have decided to completely change our topic, and since we heard very good feedback from Dr. Gill we believe our topic will be a good ethnography. Our group will be studying the culture of the movie theaters in a college town.

We have decided for this week that we each go to the movie theater separately. This past weekend, I got to go to the movies on Saturday and on Sunday. I attended the College Station one both days. There were many differences that I saw on these days. Particularly I decided to go on different times of the day. On Saturday, I went to the matinee movies at 5:30p.m. As I buy my ticket, I can tell that it seems that the lobby is empty. I sit down in the lobby with my roommate waiting for other friends 20 minutes before the movie starts. One thing that I noticed is that most of the people that were walking in to the lobby appeared to be in couples, and mainly college students or at least that's what they appear to be. On Sunday night, I went to a movie at 9:50p.m. I went to see a comedy movie, and I wanted to see what other movies were starting at the same time my movie was starting. As I expected, the crowd in the theater was college students, a few older couples, and I do not remember seeing any kids.

Dr. Gill's presentation on Tuesday, February 15 definitely has given us many ideas on how to observe the theater. We will write a formal letter and try to meet with the theater's manager so we can explain what we will be doing for the next six weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment